Tuesday 7 October 2014

THE FIRST TIME EVER

A version of the following comments were used on Bandcamp at https://sheilakcameron.bandcamp.com/track/the-first-time-ever-i-saw-your-face where this song can be heard.

This is a song I sang often before I began trying to write my own. I recorded it in August 2014.

I had rediscovered the words written on an old piece of paper when sorting out some equally old notebooks (see below)



  
On a day with nothing much else to do  I saw it lying beside my recording equipment and decided to try it out. It must have been there because I thought, if the right moment arrived, this might happen. And without any practising or planning I recorded four takes.

This version is the fourth. The following day I decided to try to add some further background sounds using the overdub facility on Audacity.

And I was pleased enough to send the track in to Geoff Allan of Cava Studios at www.cavasound.com who magically improved it whilst leaving it - he suggested - with a sort of 'campfire sound'.

The information below is from Wikipedia

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" is a 1957 folk song written by British political singer/songwriter Ewan MacColl for Peggy Seeger, who would later become his wife, to sing. At the time the couple were lovers, although MacColl was married to someone else. Seeger sang the song when the duo performed in folk clubs around Britain.